Friday, August 23, 2013

The Last of Us-- The PS3 AAA hit






     I guess I will start by saying that this game has stolen countless hours from my day, but when the police come asking about the theft, I won't think twice about sending them in the other direction. The Last of Us has been dubbed an AAA hit, and I can't agree more. Yes, I know I maybe months late, but better late then never, and I am glad I finally made it to this beautifully crafted masterpiece.
Beautiful Scenery

     I will begin with the story. There are two main characters: Joel and Ellie. They embark on a quest across the country in order to locate a base which is controlled by the fireflies. The fireflies are a sort of resistance group who fight for the restoration of the three branches of government in the US. The game begins with Joel during the time of the outbreak of the infection. This is where we are introduced to the panic and chaos that is a widespread infection. After we get introduced to the apocalypse event, we are fast forwarded 20 years where we meet a grey haired Joel. The place where Joel is living is in the quarantined zone of Boston controlled by the military. It is obvious that this zone and the rest of the country has turned into slums where people fight to survive everyday. Joel has found his calling in this new world through smuggling, and he and his partner-in-crime, Tess, are the best smugglers around. The game revolves around one very big smuggling operation which take Joel and the 'package' across the country. The story is very well done to the extent that at times it felt like I was watching an Oscar-winning movie where I can also play the main role. Also at times I felt myself overflowing with emotions during some of the cutscenes, and later I would be heard saying "This game is so fucking good."

The infected.

     Though it may seem like the infection and infected civilians are the main enemy Joel has to avoid, or fight, most of the time I found myself forgetting all about the infection and instead seeing the humans who have turned bad in this post-apocalyptic world. Not only do you have to deal with scary infected people, but you also run into the bad people that already inhabit this world. At every turn, it seems like there are less and less people that Joel can trust and count on.

Trust no one.

     The style of gameplay is very well done. Like most of this game, you have options when it comes to combat, and no matter what you choose the third person view allows it to be visually pleasing. When you reach a situation that required combat, you can choose to go guns blazing, though that is not the ideal way since resources (ammo) are limited, or you can choose the stealth route. Either way, The Last of Us does not fail to make your choice enjoyable to play. Another positive point is that the game does not involve combat all the time; traveling through the country and trying to survive require some thinking, and The Last of Us does contain parts where the player has to use their sharp thinking skills in order to continue. Lastly, I have some advice to anyone who wishes to play: keep an eye out, and it does pay off to explore your surroundings. Because The Last of Us has a crafting element that is very well implemented, exploring and collecting resources can greatly benefit you in the future. I would like to thank Naughty Dog for this AAA masterpiece of a game, and I will wrap it up here by telling you that as the credits started rolling I was clapping, like and idiot maybe, but it was a very touching journey that deserved my applause.

Wait for him to come then stab him the the throat? Yea.
     Comment below on your favorite part of the game if you have it, or if you intend to get it in the future.

Happy Gaming,
Pedigrino.
http://pedigrino.com

No comments:

Post a Comment